7.13.2010

The Importance of Self - 1.15.09 0655

"Gentleness with ourselves constitutes the core of our gentleness with others." -Ragamuffin Gospel, Brennan Manning

There can be a danger in focusing too much on others and not enough on ourselves. I hadn't thought much about the degree of harshness I put towards myself. Manning seems to think that the source of how we treat others comes from how we treat ourselves. Christ came to restore and save. Save mankind. Save our relationship with God. Save us. Even if we do have Christ, we inhibit his ability to function through us effectively when we're constantly degrading the value we have. God saw enough in me to draw me to him. Can I see that in myself? That's hard to do when certain disciplines just don't seem to come easily enough. When i want to gain control and I oscillate my desires to do so, it makes me wonder about where I'm at. But God knows it and he's always there to help me through it. Seventy times seven. Now it comes down to my will to continue getting back on the horse and fighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment